Friday, May 13, 2011

Eyes of Self Exhibit Premiering in Mt. Vernon!


Just recently I was asked to showcase some of my work at a gallery in Baltimore just near where I work. Obviously, it’s a great feeling that someone with a good taste in artistic work respects my photographs to give me not only one month of an exhibit but three. I will be setting up for the next few days at Shapiro’s Café and Gallery in Mt. Vernon, Baltimore and the premiere is scheduled for Tuesday from 5-7pm.
The exhibit that I will be displaying first is my older showcase titled Eyes of Self ~ Each Young Eastern Soul Offers a Frame: Southeast Asian Life Through the Faces of the Youth. My book that I made on this exhibit is on sale here or you can preview it on the box to the left of this post. I love this exhibit as it displays pictures from my great time abroad in Thailand back in 2006. The pictures are more thematic than other projects that I work on and it was my very first photography showcase, so it obviously holds a great place in my heart.



 My next exhibit that will replace the Eyes of Self one is still to be determined but I know that most of the photographs will be from my past three years traveling and taking even more photographs with new equipment and experiences to help improve my work. This exhibit will premiere the second week of June and will stay up until around August.

If you are going to be in the Baltimore area during the next few months, I would love for you to come by the gallery and take a look around. Also if you are free for our premiere next Thursday, May 19th, we are going to have free drinks, food provided by Shapiro’s amazing menu and hopefully some live music or at least some good times to be had.
The gallery right now looks amazing with the set up of the café. There are two separate areas in the café and two very different vibes from the front and back rooms but they all come together perfectly. We’ll have a comment book and my coffee table photography book on the Eyes of Self exhibit where you can read my Artist’s Statement and see even more photographs from my project.
I hope to see you all there on Thursday and stopping in on occasion to take a look at my work—or the other great artists’—at Shapiro’s.

Here are a few photos from the exhibit being displayed. (Pictures from the Premiere will be posted later.)

No comments: