Thursday, March 22, 2012

How We Treat Death

After watching a young 23-year-old, incredibly fit, and presumably very healthy athlete like Fabrice Muamba collapse on the pitch last Saturday from a cardiac arrest, I knew I needed to write about it.
The intensely emotional and terrifying scene happened during the 42nd minute of an FACup Match between Muamba's Bolton Wanderers squad versus hosts Tottenham Hotspur. Muamba, a refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo showed no signs of illness or fatigue until suddenly he collapsed, face first, onto the pitch. His heart had stopped. In effect, Muamba had died on the pitch, for nearly two hours his heart was not beating.

In my most recent article for MyHOFS.com, I discuss this horrific scene in detail but overall discuss the way that society treats death within sports. I touch upon our subconscious (or parasocial) relationships with famous people and how we feel more connected with them thanks to Twitter, Facebook, etc. But when something like this happens, a life is jeopardized in front of thousands (or millions), people must step back and reflect on life as a whole.
I quote His Holinesss the Dalai Lama at the end of my piece stating "If from the beginning your attitude is "Yes, death is part of our lives,"then it may be easier to face."
I feel that we hold movie stars, musicians, actors, athletes, and myriad of other famous people on such high pedestals that we feel they are invincible. They are finely tuned machines that produce entertainment for us, not just some "typical" human being that we all are. But when it all boils down to it, we are all human. We are all living, breathing, heart-pumping beings. Though when that stops, people take notice.
Touching upon our society, our sports fandom, and the overall idea of violence in the name of sport are subjects I talk about in this piece which revolves mostly around death. I hope that it opens people's eyes but also their hearts and minds to the idea that life is fragile and there is absolutely no reason to lose it over (in, during, or about) a sport.
Give my newest article a read and let me know what you think. It's a subject that, as the Dalai Lama's quote indicates, is sensitive but necessary to discuss, as we all face an impending death sooner or later.
Click here for the article...

No comments: